I realized tonight that I hadn’t blogged today, and really wasn’t sure what I should write. My amazing husband came up with the idea of a minimalist makeup post, which gave me the idea to do a summer makeup post. Down here in the South I think we all have the same problem, melting makeup…. Nothing like having your makeup melt off in your margarita… SO here are some tips to keep your makeup in place during these humid southern days.
1. Primer– Primer is a must year round, but especially during the summer. I have used all types before ranging from Mac to Rimmel. Right now my favorite is Rimmel Fix & Perfect Pro.
2. Concealer– Sadly, imperfections don’t disappear during summer. A good key fact is, you don’t HAVE to use foundation. Sometimes you can just use a concealer in the places you really need it then along with your powder. Concealer can definitely melt off just like any other makeup, so try to use a densely pigmented one. Right now my favorite is Hardcandy’s concealer (found only at Walmart).
3. Foundation– If you have horrible skin like my own, you still must wear foundation in summer, wear a lightweight silicone-based formula. The silicone acts as a film between your skin and the humidity, preventing foundation from seeping into your pores or dribbling down your chin. I’m not a CoverGirl fan, but the TruBlend makeup is most favored.
4. Eyeshadow– Creamy eyeshadows are going to be your BFF. They don’t flake or crease during the day!!!
5. Eyeliner– Kohl eyeliners can
run, run, run!! Liquid eyeliner can be an ass to learn and deal with, but once you go liquid you won’t go back.
Maybelline Eyestudio Lastin Drama Gel Liner in charcoal has had my heart for awhile now.
6. Mascara– Waterproof mascara is a duh and a must for the summer. Remember to choose the right color so it doesn’t fade to grey through the day. Maybelline Define a Lash is a great one to try!!
7. Blush– Just like powder eyeshadow, powder blushes are asking for a Picasso looking mess. Try using a cream blush, using your fingers to blend. On this one I can for sure say, stay away from Maybelline Dream Mousse!!!!
8. Chapsticks– Lip gloss just looks right come summer: It’s fun. It’s easy… But it can also get runny and sticky in the sun. A tinted lip balm with a high wax content won’t turn to mush in your bag or on your mouth. My favorites are Burt’s Bees and Maybelline Baby Lips!!
…. My last suggestion is to make sure to keep some oil blotting sheets in your purse all summer long. Personally, I have oily skin on top of being a sweaty southern mess! You don’t want to continue to cake that makeup on through the day, so just remove the oil (minor touch ups excluded of course).
Good makeup-luck this summer my Southern belles!!