Spring is around the corner. I know what that means here in the South… bonfires, football, then Summer time. Summer time means the staple of a Southerner’s life… the river!!
Sadly, with the river comes girls wearing a wife beater, her bathing suit, and blue jean shorts. How the hell did this even become a fashion statement? Even worse, why do so many Southern girls feel the need to wear a shirt from her local tanning bed? It’s like a tshirt turf war!
Anyway anyway anyway. Warmer months are coming, which means we need to have a waterproof, humidity proof makeup arsenal ready. On the warmest days, it’s nothing to sweat your makeup off because it’s as hot in the shade as it is in the sun. We aren’t all blessed to have beautiful skin, so when you’re out on the river in your pontoon or floating in your inner tube with your beer, you want to be able to look nice.
I will start off with favorites of mine.
• H20 Proof Liquid Eyeliner by Wet’n’Wild.
Yes, you read it right. Wet’n’Wild made my favorites list. I love this eyeliner! Even with makeup remover it’s hard to get it all off. This definitely something that I recommend for everyone. It’s brush gives you a nice (dark) black line. You can take it thick or thin (if you’re wearing this to get in water I suggest going with a thinner line)
•Falsies Waterproof by Maybelline
I LOVE this mascara, waterproof and not. This curves brush gives HUGE eyelashes for a beautiful look!!
If you’ve used a regular liquid foundation during the summer, then you know about the melting, pooling, and caking that can occur. In addition, most regular liquid foundations don’t have SPF, which is so essential in the summer.
If you want lightweight, hydrating, melt-proof coverage with SPF this summer, I recommend trying a BB cream, tinted moisturizer, or some sort of lightweight, creamy foundation as opposed to a traditional liquid. Here are are four to try:
•China Doll foundation from Napoleon Perdis is at Ulta. Good if you’re looking for something lightweight that also has sun protection (SPF 15). This foundation offers full coverage but honestly feels like you’re not wearing anything – just make sure to use sparingly, as it can look cakey if you apply too much
• Another great high-end option is Smashbox’s Camera Ready BB Cream. This product is $39, can be found at Sephora or Ulta. It’s so lightweight, but has amazing coverage, protection (SPF 35) and is ultra sweat-proof.
• A cheaper foundation is CoverGirl’s NatureLuxe foundation. This foundation smells like fresh cucumbers, has amazing coverage, is extremely lightweight, and has an SPF of 10 (not the best, but better than nothing).
• Maybelline’s Dream Fresh BB Cream. It doesn’t have the best coverage, but it does color correct and moisturize while providing protection from the sun.
If you have serious blemishes or dark circles to cover, the last thing you want to worry about is your concealer evaporating halfway through a hot day, or getting splashed away at the pool.
• Make Up For Ever’s waterproof concealer is long-lasting, provides full coverage, and is super lightweight, but is also a bit pricey at $32.
• An inexpensive concealer I recommend is NYX’s waterproof concealer stick. It’s very creamy, has good coverage, lasts all day (through sweat and water), and is so budget-friendly at under $5.
There are several different blushes that can be worn in the summertime, ranging from liquids to creams to mousses. I wouldn’t recommend wearing any powder blushes because they will feel heavy and may leave a cakey appearance after a few hours.
• NYX’s Rouge Cream Blushes come in various shades and are extremely easy to blend and apply. I love the color they give – they’re subtle yet beautiful!
• Benefit’s Benetint is a product that can be worn not only as a blush, but also as a lip color. It’s a beautiful light red stain and stays on your face or lips all day long. It also smells delicious, kind of like cherries!
Now my backwoods Barbies can go out to those bonfires and football games without worrying your makeup is going to melt off. You know when you go out you’re inevitably going to see your boyfriend’s ex who stalks you on Facebook, or your overly tanned aunt with shoe polish black hair and a Virginia Slim hanging off her lips– because EVERYONE IS FAMOUS IN A SMALL TOWN